– Peel and chop at least 2 large ripe mangos into small pieces (don’t worry if the pieces are odd shaped it’ll all cook down anyway!) For an even quicker recipe, try a couple packages of pre-cut mango.
– Chop a red or yellow onion into small pieces, thinly slice one red or green chilli and peel some skin off of a lemon with a vegetable peeler.
– In a small saucepan, dry toast some black mustard seeds or some Nigella seeds. When the seeds begin to sputter and pop, add a bit of rapeseed oil, the onions and chillies, stir a bit and then stir in the mango.
– Add 3 tablespoons of brown sugar or honey, stir, add the lemon peel, some salt and a splash of boiling water. Bring to a boil and then simmer.
– Allow the chutney to simmer for as long as possible, using a potato masher to mush down the mango chunks every few minutes or so.
– When the chutney reaches a soft and sticky consistency you know it’s ready to enjoy!